09 June 2010

I Love A Rainy Night...

Oh, Eddie Rabbit...you hit the nail right on the head with that song! Snaps and claps and, yep, "You know it makes me feel good!"

We had a fantastic rain shower in Bethel tonight! It almost reminded me of Oregon, except it didn't last for two weeks! It rained good and hard for about two hours. I ventured out as the storm blew out of town and was amazed at how quickly Bethel had shut down. Over the past few weeks, when I've been out late, I have been shocked at how many people were out and about. Even kids as young as 5 would be seen on the playgrounds as late as midnight.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something, but even in the summer I make all my kids have bedtimes. They're significantly better people for it and during school I'm very strict about them getting enough sleep. Research has shown that there is a direct correlation between adequate amounts of sleep and success in school.

So, tonight's shower brought a pleasant surprise...almost nobody on the streets at midnight! It was nice to be the only vehicle on the road and to not silently curse the absent parents that let their children stay out until the wee hours of the morning! Hopefully, they were all sound asleep in their beds and not waiting for the last of the rain before heading out!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I hear you on the bedtimes. We've been known to push them waaaay back for boating trips that go long (unexpectedly) but other than that, my kids are attended and in bed... if they want to go out after 8 or so, 99% of the time I will say no because it's "too late"... if I let the kids stay up, I have gremlins the next morning.