15 March 2010

Abyss

We watched Garden State again last night. I haven't seen it for a couple of years and it was just as enjoyable this time. A couple of things...

1. Being up here in Alaska feels suspiciously like living on the edge of that underground cavern they visit. I'm inspired to get out and explore this infinite abyss, although I think I'm going to have to wait until temperatures rise above 0-degrees. I'm guessing I'm also going to have to get some kind of protection up here after reading about the teacher that was attacked and killed by a pack of wolves.

2. The soundtrack of that movie is phenomenal. Love The Shins, Colin Hay (Former lead singer of Men at Work), Iron and Wine, Cary Brothers, Nick Drake...the entire soundtrack. I've been listening to a lot of Colin's solo work lately...well worth a listen!

3. Finally, some days I feel like I spent my whole childhood drugged, although without the pill popping. The similarities between the protagonists' childhood and mine are completely different, but I can't help recognize that much of mine is a fog as well.

Curious how the mind works, isn't it. Every once in awhile, I'll recollect a new memory from my youth and my wife and I will chuckle because once after my remembering something from childhood she said (in front of my mother no less), "Gee, honey, you do have childhood memories!"

I'm certain, just like the protagonist in Garden State, I could use some therapy, but now Blue Cross/Blue Shield just stopped being a preferred provider up here in Bethel, so I'm pretty well stuck without any local health care, let alone therapy, although I have no desire to still have no memories or feelings but also to be medicated simultaneously.

I guess more of the same is the answer. Maybe I should watch the movie again...

No comments: