06 April 2010

Bethel Hazing...

Bethel's one of those places that demands you get involved in something or you quickly become a statistic. Everyone has heard stories of people going crazy here in Alaska either because of the extreme and bizarre shifts of daylight or due to their own behavior. The fact is, if you're not doing stuff up here, I can see how easy it would be to go nuts. Fortunately, we've managed to stay very busy getting our kids involved in the variety of activities available for them to do. Case in point, last night was judo night for Kid2 and Kid3. Every Monday, we race there after scarfing something for dinner with the rest of the family and the kids run around throwing each other to the ground and yelling in (yet another!) foreign language that I don't understand! The fun part about judo is being with all the parents and catching up on everything from the latest gossip to new recipes to try with whatever unheard of vegetable showed up in our weekly organic co-op box from Washington (a few weeks ago it was sunchokes).

Last night, however, I was brought up to speed on preparations for the annual Tundra Women's Coalition (TWC for short) banquet. I've been volunteered to cater the dessert and I've reluctantly accepted. Tentative numbers are servings for 200 although they have given me absolutely zero ideas as to what to serve. I asked around on Facebook and my friends had dozens of ideas, but none were quite right. So, I've got less than a week to figure it out and put it together. Fun!

Oh, and the lady that is catering the rest of the meal has suggested that I'm being "hazed"! Wonderful...I managed to avoid any significant hazing throughout my schooling years and now I've moved to a village in the middle of nowhere and now the hazing begins. Somehow I thought it would hurt more!

No comments: