14 April 2010

A Difference Between Here and There...

Seems like everyone has a memory of riding on a school bus from some point in their life. I could tell about our crazy elementary driver that was cited multiple times (in the school bus) for speeding, or of the many class field trips we got to go on. Probably my favorite, although not necessarily suitable for this blog, bus memories are traveling to away games for sporting events. I'm not sure why I would consider these favorite, because there was always sweat and other body odors and emanations, but they just were. Piling into the school bus, using seniority or, more importantly, athletic prowess to secure a seat at the back of the bus seemed especially important. Anyway, here in Bethel, we have buses (The drivers are not particularly gracious and occasionally cruel.), so that's similar. But in order to compete against anybody in athletics or attend any other larger school function, the school piles kids into airplanes! It's infinitely more awesome than when I was a kid! I'm totally jealous!



Why mention any of this? Kid1 gets to fly to Nome for the Regional Choir and Solo Competition tomorrow (Kid2 has already flown with her school to Anchorage for the State Science Fair!), and I'm a bit reluctant to let her go! After all, if we could get into the kind of trouble we did just riding a school bus, it doesn't take much mental prowess to imagine how much trouble they could get into on a plane! Fortunately, Kid1 is amazing, so I shouldn't be too worried...but she is my kid so maybe I should!

Good luck at Regionals and get yourself an invite to Anchorage for the State Choir Comp! Oh, and we'll totally miss you!

No comments: