18 April 2010

Warm, Sleepy, Happy, Sad and Guilty...

Lots to write about today...

WARM
+46! Yep, that's a plus in front of that number! It's almost hot, really! Snow is melting, and for the first time since we've been here, we're seeing what Bethel's "other" ground cover looks like...mud!

Mud is literally everywhere. The places that aren't mud are puddles (Often the puddles here look like Lower48's ponds or lakes!) that will eventually become mud. So, this is officially the start of the dirty season. I'm concerned for our 1000-gallon per week allotment of water as I'm certain our laundry is going to multiply exponentially! Maybe I should rethink my firm "No Puddles!" rule. You know, to wash off all the mud the kids are bound to get everywhere.

Speaking of puddles...Apparently people here drive onto the river and wash their cars (Oh, who am I kidding...trucks...there aren't many cars here!) in the deep puddles that form on top of the ice. I'm pretty sure I'd be the genius that found the hole and not the puddle and poor Babe The Big Blue Truck would be gone! I guess Babe's just gonna have to be a little muddy...just like everything else around here!

Speaking of Babe...a few hours at the mechanic got the tire fixed! I still need new ones and I'm still debating what to do, but for now I'm not dependent on the few places in town generous enough to share their air...for free even! And when something is free here, that's like being paid to get something everywhere else. I beginning to worder if there's a Yup'ik word for "free".

SLEEPY
Sundays afternoons are pretty much guaranteed nap days around here. I think most pastor's families probably do the same as it seems there's so much to do first thing in the morning that by afternoon, we're all spent. I've already taken mine and was considering another but opted to write instead.

I love taking naps. As far as I'm concerned, everyday should be a nap day! New research suggests that naps are good for work and study and I plan to help support this research as often as possible! ¡Siesta feliz!

HAPPY
Kid1 has returned from her adventures at the Regional Music Festival in Nome! Thanks to the chaperons for keeping her safe! So far, we've heard a lot of stories about gossip, pranks, dances, shopping and even a mention or two about the music!

In other "Happy" news, Kid2 turns 11 tomorrow! I can't believe it! She celebrated by having a sleepover with her two girlfriends. Cake decorating may not be any of their forté but they had a great time! Happy Birthday Kid2!

SAD
Despite her "Command Performance", Kid1 is still convinced she's not very good. I suppose this is better than someone that thinks they're amazing when they're really not (See every year's American Idol auditions!). Still though, I can't help but wonder what we've done to twist her around like this. [When you eventually read this blog Kid1, know that you are beautiful and talented and we love you!]

J leaves in a couple of hours for Anchorage! I'm certain she's excited to get away to the "Big" city, where she can wear normal shoes and get refills on pop for free. And there's no doubt we'll enjoy the fruits of her being able to shop and ship goods here instead of buying in town. Mostly, I'm just gonna miss her. I do fine when doing the single parent thing (Despite what I will try to say when people find out I'm flying solo.), but I miss having my best friend to talk to and laugh with. Safe travels and hurry home, dear!

GUILTY
I previously mentioned napping and that I am going to miss J while she's gone, but, guess what? I totally napped this afternoon when I could/should have been spending time with her. I feel totally guilty now, but thanks for the nap! It might be the best sleep I'll get all week!

No comments: