12 April 2010

Blizzardy

Last night, I went out and turned the grill on to preheat it under overcast skies and gentle breezes. 5 minutes later, I was grilling in a blizzard! The Juicy Lucy's came out great, but grilling in a blizzard was an experience I may not try any time soon!

This morning, I awoke to more blizzard conditions. The grill cover was in the neighbor's snow drift and a couple of the lids from our outdoor storage containers had blown off. Our phone service was even less reliable than normal, so I was unable to find out if school was canceled and the radio news was already airing the Yup'ik version. By the time we arrived at school, half of Bethel's electricity was out (including all three schools), so I figured it was only natural that they canceled school. I couldn't have been more wrong! Two hours of teaching in the dark with a flashlight before power was finally restored. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun teaching Health II shining a flashlight onto my face like I was sitting around the campfire telling scary stories! Ooohhh...RESTING HEART RATE!!!



Fortunately, power was returned during second hour, which helped avoid any awkward "spooky" teaching in Advanced Biology (angiosperm, gymnosperm and cotyledons!).

Giggles and embarrassment avoided. Thank you Bethel Utilities Commission.

No comments: