20 April 2010

Silt In All The Wrong Places...

Our previously mentioned mud is quickly drying out and turning to silt, which would explain why Bethel and the surrounding area is known as the "YK (Yukon-Kuskokwim) Delta"...key word DELTA! This morning I swept. This afternoon I swept. And, I already have to sweep again. Nobody's even been outside since the last time I swept and silt is finding it's way into our abode.

The ground here incredibly soft and every step taken leaves a crystal clear footprint. My yard looks exactly like my favorite Family Circus comics, where Billy's wanderings are tracked by dashed lines all about! If only the "Billy's" that live in my house would strip down to their skivvies and leave all their silt-covered clothes outside!

The biggest problem the silt is causing is with the roads. Bethel has somewhere between 6 and 10 miles of paved roads with the rest being some combination of gravel, dirt and silt. At this juncture, any unpaved road is pocked with deep potholes, soft shoulders, and bone-rattling bumps. As difficult as it is to gripe about the work of the previous entries' "Bethel Road Crew", our road has quickly eroded and the stream from my neighbors' lake that crosses our road has developed into a river that cannot be traversed in a single bound. Supposedly, a member of Bethel's City Council lives in our neighborhood, so with any luck any necessary road repairs in our neighborhood will be expedited!

All this silt reminds me of spending time at the beach and finding grains of sand in every nook, cranny and body crevice possible! So, just like the beach, I'm advising everyone against any amorous pursuits outdoors in the YK Delta! I can't think of much worse than figuring out what body contortions are necessary to shower off one's nether regions if covered in silt! Sorry to be such a prude!

2 comments:

Christine said...

My husband is the city council member and I'll tell him this was mentioned, but he doesn't have any direct pull on roads - the situation is the same all over Bethel and the work crews are doing the best they can. Direct complaints to the city road crews get more attention if there are more than one. Generally, they get graded when they get graded but the mud is something that happens. You haven't been here in past years when roads are closed due to runoff washouts. This is NOTHING, trust me! :)

Dice said...

No worries...it's just a blog post! And, I'm certain we've been lucky compared to some years! As much as I love canoeing and rafting, I wasn't looking forward to having to use those as a means of transportation just to get to my house!